Saturday, 30 July 2011

Felt Owls

 FELT OWL





I found these cute little owls from a project sheet given to me from riot stores, a craft shop in Melbourne.
I am unsure of where they found the idea, however I have had a couple of email stating it may have been from Kangaroopals.

Materials-

Felt sheets - Assorted colours (At least 4)
Craft Glue
Scissors 
Polyfoam Ball 100mm
Googly Eyes
Knife



Step 1:

Using a knife, cut off the bottom section of the poly foam ball.
This will help to keep the ball from rolling.



Step 2: 

Cut out oval shapes with pointed ends using 2 different felt colours.           They will be the feathers for the owl.                                                          I cut approx. 14 cream for the belly & about 32 purple, but it really does depends on how big they are & how much you overlap them.


Step 3:

Cut out 4 circles for the eyes. Two big, Two small. 
These will create the owl's eyes.


Step 4:

Cut out 2 Oval shapes from the brown for the ears.

Cut out 1 small triangle for the nose.

Cut out 1 big triangle for the head.





You should have everything cut out now.



Step 5:

Using the cream felt, start from the bottom & work your way around and then up, other lapping as much as you like.
Stop when you think the belly is big enough. Go up 3/4 of the way.



Step 6:

Do the same with the purple.



Step 7 :

Glue the Nose & the Yellow eyes in place, making sure the Nose is underneath the eyes.



Step 8:

Place the Big Triangle cut out on top of the owl 's head. 
If there are any poly foam not covered (like in my picture.) 
Move the feathers around to cover- hopefully the glue hasn't dried yet.
Remove the triangle - do not glue on yet.




Step 9:  

With the 2 Brown oval felt bits, squeeze the ends together and glue. 
Leave to dry, use something to hold it together.



Step 10:

Glue ears in place.





Step 11: 


Glue Triangle on.

Glue Google eyes on.




And here it is: HOOT HOOT!!!!




MORE IDEAS:

- You can use use a small triangle for the feathers, but I find it to be a bit fiddly.

- Instead of the big triangle on the top, keep on going up with the feathers.

- Put feet on the bottom

- Cut the eyes out in 1 full piece, like a mask.

- Make it into a baby's hanging mobile. Just attach a loop and fishing wire to the top & don't cut the bottom off , cover it. Use sticks from your garden as the frame work.

- Experiment with sizes. Have them sitting on a bookshelve, like Russian dolls


Please leave a comment with your link. I'd love to see what you have made.
Follow me for more tutorials to come

Danielle

55 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I think they'd make a cute baby mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute idea. My 6 year old thinks they are delightful so we are off the the shop today to by some felt and will do it together today. Love your blog and am happy to be following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These owls are so cute! I just love owls! Thanks for the tut, I think i'm going to try this to.

    Greetings Sofieke

    http://knutselen-met-sofieke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments.
    Please be sure to send me your link once you have made these little cutesy.
    I'd love to see them.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are sooo adorable - I love owls! I made some flat felt owls this week but I love these 3D ones. I would love it if you would stop by and link up this post with the craft party I have recently started at Lines Across My Face.
    :) Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. My SIL wants owls for her nursery decor - what a cute idea!!!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens, those are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG... these are adorable! I am owl obsessed and have so many ideas for what I could do with these!

    I would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade Monday blog party which is still going on at:

    http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/07/28/savvy-homemade-monday-party-1/

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are super cute! I love owls, and felt, and crafting...so this was fun to see! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - I featured you today!! - Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of all the link you put in the party, this might be my favorite! Your just too crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just too stinkin cute! I am all about owls and I NEEED this!


    I would love if you would link up at Blog Stalking Thursday!
    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-stalking-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are precious. Just saw them on the House of Hepworths link up. Your tutorial is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've been featured on Fabulousity Friday at Sweet Tea Serendipity. Come & pick up your award here: http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com/2011/08/fabulousity-friday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this little guy!

    Megan
    www.CutTheCraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this little owl! i made an owl last year for Halloween... but yours is way cooler. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love owls, doesn't everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable. I just love owls. :)

    Jennifer
    www.missmaggiesplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are adorable, Danielle! I recently made an owl family using paper tubes. These will be sweet with some fall decor! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this!! They will match my little girl's room perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is going to be a wonderful project for fall decor! Going to make a few of these to put on my mantle.
    We would love to have you at our first ever link party... *Crafty Lassie Tuesdays*
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this felt owl! What a great idea =]

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this! I featured it today at my Delightfully Inspiring Thursday party.

    http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/08/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-party_17.html

    Feel free to grab a button for your blog, if you'd like.

    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey I'm Kassandra! I featured this here at my blog. I hope you'll come by and grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have been featured this week on the Glitter Blog! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/08/friday-spotlight-featuring-you-8-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. These owls are gorgeous! I am going to have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super cute! You are so talented!

    I'd love for you to link up to our Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings party going on now. It's a blog hop specifically for kids and teens related "stuff", so your post would be perfect!

    Melanie
    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/crafts-for-under-twenty-somethings_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are precious!! My pastor's wife ADORES "crafted" owls...my roommate and I just might have to make some of these for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just too adorable! This was definitely just added to my to-do list.

    I found you from the weekend link up party.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute. My daughter will love to make a few- she's into owls as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh, I'm in love! SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. FAB project. Super cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh soooo cute! I love this. I saw this on Pinterst already (it was your blog of course) but so glad I actually clicked on this to see how you did it! I did some owls over at my site too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. awesome! we have got to make these! This is a great project so cute! My daughter would love some in her room!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so cute ... Think I might do this with my daughter. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is just so cute! I have made felt owl softies but never seen them done this way - what a great idea! Saw you on linky party and now gfc following you, Karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. So cute! I am definitely putting this on my DIY list! http://caseyjustme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my goodness, I LOVE these! I need to go make a hundred. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. ummm these are super cute!!! love them.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love Owls and this will be another fun felt project to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi there! This is Dawn from Not Just A Mommy! It should be noted in your tutorial that it's based on my tutorial with permission from the original creator Kangaroopals. http://dawnypoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/tuesday-tutorial-felt-owl.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. HI Dawn,
    In regards to your email, I received a project sheet from http://www.riotstores.com.au/ & made the owls for that, I will be sure to credit them in my tutorial now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks Danielle...a few readers saw them on Pinterest and gave me a heads up, I didn't want you to have any issues with the original designer. I created the template before I knew she had an Etsy shop for them and made sure it was ok to continue posting the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  44. They could be very nice garden ornaments. I just imagined them hanging down from the trees. These will be in my "to do list" for the summer. I love owls, and I love using them in my work.
    www.wildpoppyfields.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am going to make a few for centerpieces for my daughters 1st birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very cute! I am going to make a couple for decorations in my bedroom. I hope they turn out this good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you so much for sharing this post. This is what I call creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  48. AHHHHH!!! Lovely!! thanks for sharing the tutorial!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very cute! I love it and Im going to try it. :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete