Felt sheets - Assorted colours (At least 4)
Polyfoam Ball 100mm
Using a knife, cut off the bottom section of the poly foam ball.
This will help to keep the ball from rolling.
Cut out oval shapes with pointed ends using 2 different felt colours. They will be the feathers for the owl. I cut approx. 14 cream for the belly & about 32 purple, but it really does depends on how big they are & how much you overlap them.
Cut out 4 circles for the eyes. Two big, Two small.
These will create the owl's eyes.
Cut out 2 Oval shapes from the brown for the ears.
Cut out 1 small triangle for the nose.
Cut out 1 big triangle for the head.
You should have everything cut out now.
Using the cream felt, start from the bottom & work your way around and then up, other lapping as much as you like.
Stop when you think the belly is big enough. Go up 3/4 of the way.
Do the same with the purple.
Step 7 :
Glue the Nose & the Yellow eyes in place, making sure the Nose is underneath the eyes.
Place the Big Triangle cut out on top of the owl 's head.
If there are any poly foam not covered (like in my picture.)
Move the feathers around to cover- hopefully the glue hasn't dried yet.
Remove the triangle - do not glue on yet.
With the 2 Brown oval felt bits, squeeze the ends together and glue.
Leave to dry, use something to hold it together.
Glue ears in place.
Glue Triangle on.
Glue Google eyes on.
And here it is: HOOT HOOT!!!!
- You can use use a small triangle for the feathers, but I find it to be a bit fiddly.
- Instead of the big triangle on the top, keep on going up with the feathers.
- Put feet on the bottom
- Cut the eyes out in 1 full piece, like a mask.
- Make it into a baby's hanging mobile. Just attach a loop and fishing wire to the top & don't cut the bottom off , cover it. Use sticks from your garden as the frame work.
- Experiment with sizes. Have them sitting on a bookshelve, like Russian dolls
Please leave a comment with your link. I'd love to see what you have made.
Follow me for more tutorials to come